Often times there are multiple physiotherapy clinics in a given area allowing patients to choose their respective physio clinic. It is important to note that not all clinics are created equally, so picking your clinic solely based on geography may not be the best strategy! When people ask me to recommend clinics in their area, here are some factors that I consider:
1. Is it a physiotherapist providing your care? This may seem like a simple question, but it is not unusual for clinics to provide “physiotherapy” without actually using a physiotherapist. Don’t be afraid to ask what the qualifications of your therapist are. At South Simcoe Physiotherapy all of our treating clinicians are Registered Physiotherapists!
2. Is your therapist providing you with the attention you deserve? When booking your assessment, don’t be afraid to ask how many patients the clinic books per hour. At South Simcoe Physiotherapy we book a maximum of 2 patients per hour and treat exclusively out of private treatment rooms allowing us to focus on getting you better faster!
3. Are treatment strategies evidence based? It is important to base treatment strategies on the best available evidence and not make unfounded claims with unproven technology or techniques. If something sounds too good to be true, it just might be! At South Simcoe Physiotherapy we use evidenced based techniques such as manual therapy, acupuncture, IMS, and exercise to give our patients the results that they deserve.
4. Are the billing practices ethical and legal? It is important to note that you as a client are at least partially responsible for how your insurance company is billed. Be sure that your insurance company is not being billed in a fraudulent way. At South Simcoe Physiotherapy we take these concerns seriously. We will ensure that we are open with billing practices and that we keep ethics at the forefront of our pratices.
5. What is your therapist doing to stay current? To be an effective physiotherapist, you must be a life long learner! Ask your therapist what courses they have taken and what interests them. Although you may not be familiar with the course that your therapist is taking, knowing that they are making an effort to improve their skillset is important. At South Simcoe Physiotherapy continuing education is paramount. We are always working to better ourselves to the benefit of our patients.
If you are in the need of physiotherapy, call South Simcoe Physiotherapy to book your assessment today!